Sunday, May 17, 2009

The world today as I see it...

I don't know about others, but I dislike being cheated. You see, last night I was at a shopping mall and there was a roadshow by a few telecommunication companies promoting their wireless broadband services. Besides that, they were also promoting their wireless broadband modems. I have been using a mobile wireless broadband modem for one and a half years now and I find that the service is getting from bad to worse lately. When I'm at home in KL I just can't log on to the internet anymore. I've made a few phone calls and even visited the said telecommunication centre but no one could help me rectify the problem and they couldn't even provide me with a good reason as to why I couldn't surf the internet anymore. The first thing they did when I made the complaint was to check whether I had any outstanding payment. Ridiculous, isn't it? If I had, I wouldn't have been so stupid to waste my precious time queueing up at the centre waiting for my turn only to be told that I had some outstanding payment!!! Since then I have been thinking of changing to another telecommunication company and have been scouting around for some time now. So when I found the modem last night, a supposedly upgraded version of the one I am using now and with a speed doubled it, and after so many sweet promises, I finally signed up for a service which is supposed to be RM50 less than what I am paying now. The salesman even told me that if I found that it was not the upgraded version of the modem I could always return it to them and will be a given a new one. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that it was the older version. Naturally, I went back and requested for a new and upgraded one today. There was actually no problem in getting a replacement, but what made me lost my cool was when he said this, "When you install this, if it is still the non-upgraded one, then you'll have to bring it to the centre to exchange for a new one." I asked him, "Don't you have any way at all to check whether the modem is an upgraded one?" "No!" Can you believe that? Of course, I got really upset and gave him a piece of my mind. I felt so cheated. Imagine, the hassle that I had to go through in driving to the shopping mall and driving round and round looking for a parking bay? And now he is telling me that if that is not the newer version, I would have to drive all the way to the telecommunication centre tomorrow to get a new one and go through all the hassle again. I mean, can't they all be more transparent and more truthful in conducting their business? Why do they need to cheat their customers just for a few hundred ringgit? Don't they know that the truth would be out eventually? Have they no integrity at all just to gain that small sum of money? I don't blame the salesman actually, but his employer because I know he is only taking orders from his employer. All these just made me wonder what is becoming of the world today.

jennyiyan's recollections...

No comments: